If you are experiencing more severe symptoms or find that these tips are not providing relief, you may want to consider counseling. Our clinical services are available to all full-time enrolled students at Dartmouth College. There is no charge for counseling services at the Counseling Center. If you would like to schedule an appointment, please call 603-646-9442 or stop by the Counseling Center located on the second floor of Dick's House.
Your first appointment with the Counseling Center is called a "triage" appointment. The total appointment time is 45 minutes. The first 15 minutes are spent completing paperwork and an online assessment. You will then meet with a counselor for 30 minutes to discuss your concerns. At the end of the appointment the counselor will discuss treatment options that will best address your needs. Sometimes, students find the triage appointment has met their needs and no further services are necessary. When further services are needed, one or more of the following options may be recommended:
- a referral to one of our workshops or therapy groups
- an appointment for an Intake for short term therapy within the Counseling Center (Intake appointments are usually scheduled the following week to give students time to think about their goals for therapy)
- a referral to other campus or community resources
- a referral for a psychiatric medication evaluation
- a referral to an off-campus mental health provider
- if your situation is critical, we offer same-day crisis appointments
Since 2002, the Counseling Center has had a collaborative working relationship with the White River Jct, VA Medical Center Psychology Internship program (WRJ VAMC). The WRJ VAMC internship is composed of a number of core clinical experiences, including a nine month rotation (one day a week) at the Counseling Center. During their time at the Counseling Center, pre-doctoral interns see individual clients and receive intensive supervision by a Counseling Center licensed psychologist.