Athletic Clearance Requirements
The following items are required for all students intending to compete on a varsity team or men's rugby:
- PREPARTICIPATION EXAM: The Athletic History & Physical Exam Form must be filled out completely.
- The form will not be accepted with unanswered questions.
- Some answers may require additional documentation for clearance.
- The form must be signed by a physician (MD or DO) or a Nurse Practitioner. Forms completed by another health professional will not be accepted unless co-signed.
- Physical exam must be dated on or after March 5, 2023.
- SICKLE CELL TRAIT TEST RESULTS:
- NCAA and Dartmouth require student-athletes to (a) be tested for sickle-cell trait or (b) provide Dartmouth with results of a prior test. This must be done prior to participation in any NCAA-recognized sport and all related activities, including any weight training or conditioning workouts.
- Many infants are tested at birth. Consult with your primary care physician, as this test may already be available in your medical record.
- WAIVERS, RELEASES, AND ONLINE FORMS:
- Sports Medicine online forms will be live beginning in June! Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- These forms can be found on the Health Portal (also accessed through the "Health Services Forms" link in DartHub).
- Comprehensive Athletics Participation Waiver and Release Forms (three separate forms)
- Heat Illness History Form
- BANNED SUBSTANCE DOCUMENTATION: If applicable, students must provide documentation for use of any banned prescription medications.
- Student-athletes taking prescription medications to treat ADD/ADHD will be particularly affected.
- You must provide specific documentation to allow for medical exception.
- A detailed explanation of what is required for medical exception in all banned classes can be found in the Athletic History and Physical Exam packet.
- INCOMING STUDENT MEDICAL RECORDS REQUIREMENTS: The Athletic History and Physical Exam is separate from the Undergraduate Entering Student Health & Immunization Requirements.
- Sports Medicine strongly recommends that all student-athletes complete all incoming student Medical Record requirements for the Health Service prior to sports participation. Instructions for these requirements can be found on the Medical Records Website.
- Special Authorization for Minors: if this form applies to you, it is required prior to sports clearance.
Complete instructions and a checklist of ALL athletic requirements is included on the Athletic History and Physical Form.