Athletic Clearance Requirements
The following items are required for all students intending to compete on a varsity team or men's rugby:
- PREPARTICIPATION EXAM: The Athletic History and Physical Form must be filled out completely.
- The form will not be accepted with unanswered questions.
- Some answers may require additional documentation for clearance.
- The form must be signed by a physician (MD or DO) or a Nurse Practitioner. Forms completed by another health professional will not be accepted unless co-signed.
- BANNED SUBSTANCE DOCUMENTATION: If applicable, students must provide documentation for use of any banned prescription medications (if applicable).
- Student-athletes taking prescription medications to treat ADD/ADHD will be particularly affected.
- You must provide specific documentation to allow for medical exception.
- A detailed explanation of what is required for medical exception in all banned classes can be found in the Athletic History and Physical Exam packet.
- SICKLE CELL TRAIT REQUIREMENT: Per the NCAA, all student-athletes must satisfy the Sickle Cell Trait Testing requirement by doing ONE of the following:
- Provide results of prior Sickle Cell Trait testing to the Health Service. This may be either newborn screen or more recent testing.
- Sign a waiver form declining to be tested or declining to submit proof of prior testing for Sickle Cell Trait (waiver is included in Athletic History and Physical Exam packet).
- ENTERING STUDENT HEALTH AND IMMUNIZATION REQUIREMENTS: All enrolled Dartmouth students are required to meet specific health requirements prior to the start of classes, as directed by the Medical Records office. Athletic Clearance is dependent on first being compliant with these requirements (listed below). Instructions for these requirements can be found on the Medical Records Website.
- Dartmouth Immunization Form
- Tuberculosis Screening/Testing Form
- Online Health Forms
- Special Authorization for Minors (if applicable)
Complete instructions and a checklist of ALL athletic requirements will be included on the Athletic History and Physical Form.