Athletic Clearance Requirements
The following items are required for all students intending to compete on a varsity team or men's rugby:
- PREPARTICIPATION EXAM: The Athletic History and Physical Examination form (fillable) must be filled out completely.
- The form will not be accepted with unanswered questions.
- Some answers may require additional documentation for clearance.
- The form must be signed by a physician (MD or DO) or a Nurse Practitioner. Forms completed by another health professional will not be accepted unless co-signed.
- You may also choose to print a blank Athletic History and Physical Examination Form.
- BANNED SUBSTANCE DOCUMENTATION: If applicable, students must provide documentation for use of any banned prescription medications (if applicable).
- Student-athletes taking prescription medications to treat ADD/ADHD will be particularly affected.
- You must provide specific documentation to allow for medical exception.
- A detailed explanation of what is required for medical exception in all banned classes can be found in the Athletic History and Physical Exam packet.
- COMPLETE WAIVERS, RELEASES, AND ONLINE FORMS:
- Sickle Cell Trait Requirement: In order to participate in intercollegiate athletics at Dartmouth College, NCAA and Dartmouth require student-athletes to (a) be tested for sickle-cell trait, (b) provide Dartmouth with results of a prior test, OR (c) refuse sickle-cell testing. This must be done prior to participation in any NCAA-recognized sport and all related activities, including any weight training or conditioning workouts.
- Comprehensive Athletics Participation Waiver and Release Forms: These three online forms can be found on the Health Portal (also accessed through the "Health Services Forms" link on your Banner account).
- Heat Illness History Form: This online form is also accessed in the Forms tab of the Health Portal.
- ENTERING STUDENT HEALTH AND IMMUNIZATION REQUIREMENTS: All enrolled Dartmouth students are required to meet specific health requirements prior to the start of classes, as directed by the Medical Records office. Athletic Clearance is dependent on first being compliant with these requirements (listed below). Instructions for these requirements can be found on the Medical Records Website.
- Dartmouth Immunization Form
- Tuberculosis Screening/Testing Form
- Online Health Forms
- Special Authorization for Minors (if applicable)
Complete instructions and a checklist of ALL athletic requirements is included on the Athletic History and Physical Form.