The first appointment with the Counseling Center is called a "triage" appointment. The total appointment time is 45 minutes. The first 15 minutes are spent completing paperwork and an online assessment. After, the student meets with a counselor for up to 30 minutes to discuss their concerns. At the end of the appointment, the counselor will make recommendations for the next step. Sometimes, students find the triage appointment has met their needs and no further services are necessary.
When further services are needed, the triage counselor will discuss their recommendations with the student. Options might include the following:
- a referral to one of our workshops or therapy groups
- an appointment for an Intake for short-term individual counseling within the Counseling Center (Intake appointments are generally scheduled at least a week after the initial triage appointment to allow time for students to think about their goals for therapy).
- a referral to meet with a nutritionist
- a referral to other campus or community resources
- a referral for a psychiatric medication evaluation
- a referral to an off-campus mental health provider
- if your situation is critical, we offer same-day crisis appointments