The Dartmouth College Health Service is known on campus as "Dick's House," short for Dick Hall's House. Dick Hall's House, a historic brick building with many beautifully preserved rooms and features, was donated to the College in 1927 by Mr. and Mrs. Edward K. Hall in memory of their son, Richard (Dick) Drew Hall '27, who died of polio during his sophomore year.
In their dedication, the Hall Family wrote:
This House will serve as an infirmary for Dartmouth students who are sick, as a place of recuperation for those who simply need rest and a bit of care, and for all who sojourn within its walls we hope that it will serve as a home.
Dick's House was presented to Dartmouth College on June 6, 1926 by 1927 class president Joshua David and Dick's classmates. The ceremony included laying the corner stone of the building, under which the class placed a sealed copper box that contained several pieces of Dartmouth memorabilia, one of which was a ten foot long parchment scroll signed by 458 members of the class of 1927. The building was completed and open to visitors in June of 1927, and students began receiving care the following September.