Payables Advance (formerly Cash Advance)

You may need a payables advance to pay for travel expenses, meals in a local restaurant, out-of-town shopping for specialty items or food, alcohol for AMP-approved events, or meal buyouts for visiting performers or speakers when their contract requires it.

Your Group is not required to use a Payables Advance for the above expenses.  You can pay out of pocket and get reimbursed using a Business Expense Reimbursement Form as long as you have money budgeted for the expenses.  It is imperative that you keep all your itemized/detailed receipts showing payment was made, as well as the Tour Manager Receipt for meal buyouts, if applicable.

ALL Payables Advances

The Cashier's Office will only permit a person to have one payables advance out at a time. You must reconcile your first advance before requesting a second advance.​

Please make your request by 1:00 pm, at least five (5) business days in advance, as advances will be paid out only on Wednesday's (so once a week).

  1. Treasurer submits a Payables Advance Request form at least five (5) business days before it is needed. (Note: The Treasurer should request the advance, but it needs to be in the name of the student who will actually be responsible for the funds.)
  2. Our office will submit the request for the "payables advance". This advance will be provided through the primary payment method for the student, be it direct deposit, electronic payment, or check payable to the responsible person.
  3. We will notify the responsible person that the Business Expense Report form needed for the payables advance reconciliation is ready for pickup in Collis 211G. The student picks up the form.
  4. The student manages the funds, keeps track of all expenses on the Business Expense Report, and provides itemized/detailed receipts. Receipts should show name of vendor, itemization and that payment was made.
  5. Within three business days after use of the funds, the student reconciles the advance by completing the Business Expense Report form and returning it to 211G Collis, along with all itemized/detailed receipts and a check made payable to "Trustees of Dartmouth College" for any leftover funds. The amount returned should be entered in the space for "Amount Due College".
  6. If the student needed to use personal funds for expenses higher than the payables advance amount, this additional expense should be entered in the space for "Amount Due Payee" on the Business Expense Report form. A reimbursement will be made to the student, provided your group has the funds available.

It will not be possible to process last minute requests for payables advances, because of the time needed to arrange for payment.

If you find out "too late" that your expenses will exceed your payables advance, you may need to get the advance, and then also use your own personal funds to cover the additional expenses. Reimbursement will be arranged during the payables advance reconciliation process.