Moments of Action
Do something yourself
There are lots of things you can do directly, to make it less likely that someone gets hurt. For example, you could ask someone to stop what they're doing or check in with someone you might be worried about. Here are some more ideas of what you could say to help:
- "That's not cool."
- "Hey, are you okay?"
- "Are they too drunk to hook up?"
- "I'm worried about you. Can I get you home?"
- "You said you wanted to stick with us tonight, I'm not letting you leave with them."
- "I've noticed your ex is always waiting for you after class. Want me to walk with you?"
- "Are you sure you want to be doing?"
- "Back off."
- "I think you're about to do something you don't want to do. Let's go get late night instead."
- "Looks like things are getting kind of intense, can I help?"
Bring others in
Don't feel comfortable doing something directly, no problem. There are lots of others you can turn to that can help make it less likely that someone gets hurt.
- Get their friends to check in.
- Reach out to your UGA or Assistant Director.
- Ask your friends to help.
- Talk with a teammate or coach.
- Share your concerns with a house exec.
- Use the LifeSave app on your phone to contact Safety & Security.
- Call a Good Sam.
- Talk with your supervisor or advisor.
- If you don't feel comfortable addressing the situation directly or asking others to help, another option is to cause a distraction to disrupt the situation.
- Tell one of them that their friend or UGA is looking for them.
- Ask to borrow one of their phones.
- Ask one of them to walk you home.
- Ask one of them to show you where to find the bathroom.
- Pretend like you know one of them and start a conversation: "Hey, weren't we on Trips together?" "Didn't we take a class together, you know, with that professor?"
- Recruit one of them to help you find your friends, phone, or wallet.
- Ask the DJ to change songs to switch up an intense situation on the dance floor.
- Accidentally spill a drink.
- Get them and others to go to Late Night Collis.
- Act drunk and tag along.