The Foundations of our Community
Residence halls are the foundation upon which community and friendships are built, and are home to most Dartmouth undergraduates. We consider the residential experience to be integral to life at Dartmouth, and therefore require that all first-year students live on campus in our residence halls. The exceptions to this rule are those first-year students who are parents, married or part of a College-recognized domestic partnership.
A Distinctive Identity
While juniors and seniors are not guaranteed on-campus housing, approximately 85 percent of the students live on campus in our residence halls, living learning communities, and co-ed/fraternity/sorority housing. The remaining 15 percent live in either college-owned off-campus apartments or other local rental housing options.
Sophomores who are enrolled in classes and apply by the appropriate deadline are guaranteed housing. While juniors and seniors are not guaranteed on-campus housing, approximately 90 percent of the students live on campus in our residence halls, living learning communities, and greek housing.
Our residence halls are grouped into six House Communities, Living Learning Communities, and First-Year Experience Communities. Every community has distinctive identities, and as a result, you will often hear students refer to their community, rather than their individual building. In all, Dartmouth houses more than 3,300 students on campus.
A Variety of Living Arrangements
Rarely are two rooms on campus alike! We have traditional one-room singles and one-room doubles. We also have some two- and three-room doubles that provide the opportunity for residents to have a common "hang out" space in their rooms. There are two- and three-room triples, a few quads on campus, suite style living and three- and four-bedroom apartments. Some of our halls are modern in design, while others are of traditional brick and ivy Georgian architecture.
In addition to the residence halls, Dartmouth offers three other housing options for upper-class students: Living Learning Communities, Senior Apartments, and Greek housing.
Living Learning Communities
Living Learning Communities are dynamic alternatives to traditional residence hall life. Each program has a distinct theme. We have the Sustainable Living Cetner, Max Kade German Center, and the Native American House just to name a few! Students who are interested in participating in one of the Living Learning Communities go through a selection process with the Program Advisor.
These communities sponsor programs both for their own residents and for the larger residential community.
Greek Life Housing
Upper-class students who are members of a fraternity, sorority, co-ed organization or undergraduate society have the option of living in their organization's house. These arrangements are made within the organization, and many members live at least one term of their time at Dartmouth in their houses.