Winter & Spring Housing

** Information about housing during the COVID-19 pandemic (currently the 2020-2021 academic year) will be sent to eligible students once those details are determined. **

About the Assignment Process

The housing assignment processes for winter and spring terms are identical. For these two terms, you must apply using the housing application on DartHub. There is usually no waitlist, and there is no room draw process for these terms. Housing assignments for the fall or winter term automatically carry over to the next term if your D-plan is an “R” at the time of that term’s housing application deadline.

Because the majority of students remain in the same room for the consecutive terms in which they are enrolled, most of the spaces that become available for winter and spring assignments are those vacated by students who leave campus after fall or winter term. As a result, the majority of applicants will fill individual vacancies in double or triple rooms. Though single rooms are the most commonly requested room type, normally only enough singles become available to honor approximately 25 to 30 percent of the requests. This means that of the juniors who apply, the greater part of the class will be housed in doubles or triples.

Application Process

For winter and spring terms, students must apply through DartHub. The application guides you through a number of housing options and questions. It is important that you review the information carefully to make sure you are able to take advantage of the options that are available.

In order for the Undergraduate Housing Office to assign you to the space that most closely matches your preferences, it is important that you list as many alternatives as possible on the application. If you provide few choices on the housing application and your preference is unavailable (i.e. you only request a single room and we no longer have single rooms to assign), you will be assigned to a remaining space in a double, triple or quad.

If you are unable to access the application, please contact the Undergraduate Housing Office before the application deadline at (603) 646-3093.

Please note that if you request a pull-in, or indicate that you wish to live in a Living learning Community, Greek letter organization or undergraduate society house, that will be considered your first-choice housing preference.

Assigning Rooms

After the deadline, the applications are processed in priority number order. Every effort is made to place students who apply for on-campus housing with the roommate(s) and in the room types that they request, but this becomes difficult because the volume and variety of available space is limited. An applicant whose room type is unavailable will be placed in an open space using their hall preference as a guide, when possible.

If an applicant’s roommate preference is not available, the student will be assigned to an open spot in the same room type preference, if available, unless a note in the comments section of the application requests otherwise.


Students who wish to be pulled into the room of a friend who will have a vacancy for the winter or spring term should fill out the “pull-in” section on the housing application. In order for the Undergraduate Housing Office to consider this request, the friend pulling the applicant into their room must email the Office of Residential Life to confirm they want the applicant as a roommate.

Students cannot be pulled into single rooms, rooms where there is no vacancy, or completely empty rooms.

Room Change Requests

Students seeking a room change have many options. If you are currently on campus and would like a room change for the following term, go to DartHub and fill out the relevant term’s housing application by the appropriate deadline, making sure to check on the application that this is a room change request. Requests are reviewed, along with all regular applications, by priority number. If the room you request is not available, the current term’s assignment will carry over.

Assignments for winter and spring terms will be available on BannerStudent. We will send you an email to let you know how to access your assignment.

When to Seek a Room Change

If you apply for room changes between terms, you will be able to check if your room change is approved online at the same time all new assignments are posted.

If you are looking for a room change after the term starts you should contact the Assistant Director of your community. The Assistant Director will work with the Housing Office to determine where any vacancies may exist.

Room changes within the same term are not permitted after the housing application deadline for the following term.

Room Swaps

Finally, students can seek a room swap after opening. A room swap is a person-for-person room change that occurs during the first half of a term (the deadline is the housing application deadline for the following term). For a room swap to be approved, all affected residents must email their consent to the change to the Undergraduate Housing Office. Once all roommates are heard from, the change can be approved and all involved will receive a confirmation email.

Please note that students who went through room draw and were able to choose their roommate(s) for the term must have any room change or room swap approved by the Director of Housing.