Guests are defined as individuals who are not Dartmouth College undergraduates, and visitors are defined as Dartmouth College students who are not assigned to the room they are visiting.
Guests/visitors are allowed to visit in a student room for a period not to exceed three days and two nights during a two-week period.
- Hosts must check with their roommate(s) for approval before inviting a guest/visitor to the room. If the roommate(s) do not approve, the guest/visitor cannot stay in the room.
- Students with concerns regarding guests/visitors should talk to the host, and then, if necessary, with their UGA and/or Assistant Director.
- A guest/visitor cannot use a student’s room when the host is not on campus.
- Guests/visitors are not allowed during interim periods.
- ORL reserves the right to limit guests in the residence halls.
Hosts are responsible for the actions of their guests/visitors and will face disciplinary action if their guest or visitor violates College or Residential Policies.
- Hosts should familiarize guests/visitors with community expectations.
- Visitors are also responsible for their actions, according to College policy.
Minor guests (18 years old and under) must have a host student who assumes responsibility for their welfare.
- The Host of a minor not associated with an official College-sanctioned program must register the guest’s name, home address and home telephone number with the Department of Safety and Security.
Due to occupancy regulations and building capacities, Dartmouth student visitors are not to maintain residency or prolonged presence in a room where they are not assigned.
- Repetition of visits by the same guest(s) or visitor(s) over consecutive periods of time is not permitted.
Guest Hosting for College-Sponsored Conferences or Events
The Office of Residential Life must be notified at least two weeks in advance of the conference or event to provide appropriate notice to residents in the facilities to be used.
- Each guest must be hosted in a student room and consent to host a guest must be given by all room occupants.
- Residing/sleeping in common spaces is not permitted.