To cancel a housing assignment, written notification, including the student’s name and ID number, must be sent to the Housing Office either by letter or email. For all terms, you may cancel your housing until 11:59:59 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, of the day before the residence halls open. However, to cancel without a penalty, you must cancel or withdraw your application before the cancellation deadline for that particular term.
A cancellation fee applies if:
- Fall Term: you select a room at room draw or one of our other housing processes (Greek, LLC, UGA) and then cancel that assignment.
- Winter/Spring/Summer Terms: you submit your cancellation after the relevant term’s cancellation deadline(s).
- you change your D-plan to an “L” after the relevant term’s cancellation deadline.
- you cancel your residence hall assignment to move into a privately-owned GLOS house after the cancellation deadlines(s).
This fee will be waived in the event that:
- you are accepted into one of the College’s sanctioned off-campus programs.
- you transfer to another college or university permanently.
- you are approved for a room change from one College-owned location to another.
In the event a student is suspended, separated or withdraws from the College, the College refund policy applies instead of the cancellation policy.
An upper-class student who is enrolled for consecutive academic terms (excluding summer term) and who resides in College housing may cancel his or her assignment and move off-campus after completing at least one term in residence. A $500 cancellation fee is charged if notice of cancellation is received after the cancellation deadline.
First-year students are required to live on campus for their first three terms at Dartmouth. On-campus housing may not be canceled until the residency requirement has been fulfilled or is waived by the Dean of Residential Life.