To cancel a housing assignment, written notification, including the student's name and ID number, must be sent to the Housing Office either by letter or email. For all terms, you may cancel your housing until 11:59:59 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, of the day before the residence halls open. However, to cancel without a penalty, you must cancel or withdraw your application before the cancellation deadline for that particular term.
A cancellation fee applies if:
- Fall Term: you select a room at room draw or one of our other housing processes (Greek, LLC, UGA) and then cancel that assignment to live off-campus.
- Winter/Spring/Summer Terms: you submit your cancellation after the relevant term's cancellation deadline(s).
- you change your D-plan to an "L" after the relevant term's cancellation deadline.
- you cancel your residence hall assignment to move into a privately-owned GLOS house after the cancellation deadlines(s).
This fee will be waived in the event that:
- you are accepted into one of the College's sanctioned off-campus programs.
- you transfer to another college or university permanently.
- you are approved for a room change from one College-owned location to another.
Students who feel they have an extenuating circumstance that may warrant a reduction or waiver of the fee can submit an appeal via email to the Director of Undergraduate Housing.
In the event a student is suspended, separated or withdraws from the College, the College refund policy applies instead of the cancellation policy.
First-year students are required to live on campus for their first three terms at Dartmouth. On-campus housing may not be canceled until the residency requirement has been fulfilled or is waived by the Associate Dean for Residential Life.