Live Performances

 If you intend to plan an event with a band, DJ or other performers on campus, please follow this checklist. For more information on individual circumstances, please visit the Office of Greek Life at Robinson 314 and consult information about event planning provided by COSO.

At least four weeks prior to the event

  • Discuss ideas to see what would be popular with members of your organization, friends, classmates or other groups you are involved in.
  • Planning: Do you have enough members who are willing to assist in organization, staffing the event, completing paperwork and finances, organizing catering and risk management?

  • What is your budget? Costs might include performers, tents, dig-safe, tables and chairs, accommodation, venue rental, sound equipment, lighting, advertising, catering, beverages, security, decorations, clean-up crew etc. Come up with a budget first before you select performers.

  • Reserve your preferred location with plenty of notice (two weeks absolute minimum, preferably longer). If you are considering an on-campus space, you may reserve it. For outdoor events, you will need a backup indoor location in the event of rain.

  • Make sure that for all outdoor events, barbecues or concerts, or any time there is amplified music outside, that you complete an Outdoor Activities Permit and send it to Conferences and Events (5 Allen Street) at least two weeks ahead of time.

  • If you will need a tent, you will need to request a "Dig Safe." Please speak with Conferences and Events a minimum of two weeks ahead of time.

  • Apply for SPEC, GLC, IFC, ISC etc. funding with at least two weeks notice, preferably longer.

  • Think about co-sponsoring with other organizations such as COSO organizations, the Programming Board, other student organizations, fraternities, sororities and societies.
  • Ask the performer or agent for their standard service contract, which should provide you with the scope of what they are offering (performer's name, date of performance, time of performance, length of set, time of sound check, etc.) Take note of any other requests that they may have such as whether your organization is responsible for charges for accommodation, food, sound equipment, etc.) Do not sign a contract without getting some advice from a college staff member.

  • Ask the performer or agent about their insurance. If they do not carry insurance, they may purchase it for the event from a vendor such as Campus Connexions. The college or Greek chapter may not be insured for concerts on their liability policy. Please check with a college staff member.

  • Once you are happy with the terms of the agent or performers contract and you have seen a copy of the insurance certificate, you may complete a contract on behalf of your organization. Please contact us for more information and assistance.

  • Consider catering options and hydration stations. You must use an insured caterer.

  • Make sure that your venue is accessible.

  • If alcohol is being served, please register ahead of time.

  • Crowd control and security: Depending on the size of your event and its location, you may need college security, town police, private security or student volunteer security workers. If you need assistance with this process please speak with the the Alcohol Management Program, Office of Greek Life or Safety and Security.