Strategies for building a successful relationship with the executive officers:
- Have everyone participate in a self-assessment and discuss the results.
- Discuss “where you are:” what are your needs, expectations, etc.?
- The initial meeting should be about getting to know each other.
- Discuss terms of relationship (expectations, goals, relationships, etc.) and negotiate if there are differences.
- Spend some quality time together outside of the advisor relationship.
- Be human.
- Why do persons become involved?
- How can each person grow through their involvement?
- Ask questions, make mistakes, agree/disagree, say thanks.
- Be responsible.
- Follow through on commitments.
- Assist each individual in achieving his/her needs while helping the organization achieve its goals.