Leave term grants enable students to fully immerse themselves in research during a leave term:
- This research commitment would be equivalent to a full load of classes during a residence term.
- Students who will have other significant time commitments during their leave term are not eligible to apply.
- Grants are to cover cost of living during the leave term and/or travel if the project involves field research away from campus.
- Funding is not awarded to compensate students for the time they spend on the research.
Students must be intellectually engaged and play a key role in the project:
- Students who will be serving as research assistants on faculty projects may apply for part-time research assistantship programs such as Presidential Scholars or URAD.
- Priority will be given to students who have been engaged in research with their faculty research mentor prior to the leave term.
Students must be working directly with a Dartmouth College faculty mentor:
- This includes faculty at the College, Geisel School of Medicine, Tuck School of Business, and Thayer School of Engineering. Please contact Undergraduate Research if you have questions about your advisor's eligibility to supervise your research.
- Students doing research with faculty at other (non-Dartmouth) institutions are not eligible for research grants.
Students may engage in the research on campus or elsewhere but there must be a rationale for the location of the research:
- On-campus: the purpose is often to work with your faculty mentor in person but may also involve access to facilities and resources (labs, equipment, archives, etc.)
- Off-campus research: the purpose can vary but is often related to access to archives, interview subjects, field sites, etc.
Group projects are welcomed. Students planning to apply as a group are encouraged to meet with UGAR prior to submitting an application. The research must be directly mentored by a Dartmouth faculty member. Applicants should check the eligibility requirements to ensure that all members of the group are eligible to apply.