Program Information

Leave term research grants

Full-time and thesis research

Research grants

Applications for leave term and honors thesis research are accepted in the 5th week of the term immediately before the research term (due by 11:59pm). Note that the recommendation request form should be submitted at least one week prior to the application deadline to ensure that your faculty mentor has adequate time to complete the recommendation form before the application deadline. Late applications will NOT be accepted for any reason

  • April 26, 2023 (for summer term research)
  • July 26, 2023 (for fall term research) 
  • October 11, 2023 (for winter term research)
  • January 31, 2024 (for spring term research)

** NOTE: you must submit the recommendation request form at least one week prior to the application deadline

Other research programs and sources of funding:

Program Description

Leave term grants enable students to fully immerse themselves in research during a leave term:

  • This research commitment would be equivalent to a full load of classes during a residence term.
  • Students who will have other significant time commitments during their leave term are not eligible to apply.

Students must be intellectually engaged and play a key role in the project: 

  • Students who will be serving as research assistants on faculty projects may apply for part-time research assistantship programs such as Presidential Scholars or URAD.
  • Priority will be given to students who have been engaged in research with their faculty research mentor prior to the leave term.

Students must be working directly with a Dartmouth College faculty mentor:

  • This includes faculty at the College, Geisel School of Medicine, Tuck School of Business, and Thayer School of Engineering. Please contact Undergraduate Research if you have questions about your advisor's eligibility to supervise your research.
  • Students doing research with faculty at other (non-Dartmouth) institutions are not eligible for research grants.

Students may engage in the research on campus or elsewhere but there must be a rationale for the location of the research:

  • On-campus: the purpose is often to work with your faculty mentor in person but may also involve access to facilities and resources (labs, equipment, archives, etc.)
  • Off-campus research: the purpose can vary but is often related to access to archives, interview subjects, field sites, etc.

Group projects are welcomed. Students planning to apply as a group are encouraged to meet with UGAR prior to submitting an application. The research must be directly mentored by a Dartmouth faculty member. Applicants should check the eligibility requirements to ensure that all members of the group are eligible to apply.

Eligibility for leave term grants

  • Grants are for students who will work on the project full time during a leave term (minimum of 35 hours/week for 10 weeks).
  • Leave term research may take place on or off campus (note that leave term housing on campus may not be available in some terms, especially fall and spring).
    • Leave term grants are NOT awarded for remote research. Students are expected to either be working directly with faculty mentors on campus or engaged in field research off campus. 
  • Students apply for funding in the term before the one in which they intend to engage in the research.
    • Funding will not be awarded retroactively or for applications submitted in the same term as the research.
    • If you apply for funding from multiple sources, you may not accept more funding than the total cost of your project (as entered on the UGAR application form).
    • Applications will only be accepted for research in the following term, not for research in subsequent terms.
  • Grants are awarded for leave term research during sophomore and junior years. This includes the summer after the first year and the summer before senior year.
    • Seniors are eligible for leave term grants ONLY if they have not yet taken three leave terms. Students must be enrolled for at least one term following the term of the leave term grant. 
  • Applicants can receive a maximum of 2 leave term grants (students are eligible for senior honors thesis grants even if they have received 2 leave term grants).
  • Students are not eligible for leave term research grants if they have completed enough credits for a Dartmouth undergraduate degree (for example, students who have completed a Dartmouth A.B. and are continuing coursework for a Dartmouth B.E. are not eligible for leave term research grants).
  • Students who have previously received funding through UGAR must be in good standing in that program in order to be considered for a grant (e.g. submitted all required paperwork and final reports).
  • Students who are in UGAR scholars/fellows programs (e.g. Senior Fellows, Stamps Scholars) are not eligible for these grants.
  • Students are not eligible for funding for room and board for research being conducted in or near their hometowns except in unusual circumstances.
  • Leave term research grants are intended for unpaid research. For example, if your faculty research mentor is paying you hourly wages for the work related to your research, you are not eligible for a leave term research grant unless you have additional expenses not covered by your wages. This must be detailed on the budget form, and your wages must be included in the "additional sources of funding" section.
  • If you have questions about your eligibility, you must contact UGAR prior to the application deadline.

Be sure to also review the eligibility guidelines for UGAR programs before applying for a leave term research grant.

Priorities for Funding

  • The quality of the written proposal and the feasibility of the project are key factors in the selection process, as well as the recomendation of the faculty mentor.
  • Additional factors considered in the selection process include the student's preparation for the project and the degree to which the project aligns with the student's academic and career goals.
  • Students who are continuing faculty-mentored research (started via a part-time assistantship, class project, etc.) have priority in the selection process.
  • Priority is given to students who have not previously received a full-time Leave Term Grant from UGAR.
  • Priority for summer term funding is given to seniors who are conducting preliminary research for a senior honors thesis.
  • This is a competitive program and not all students who submit feasible proposals will be funded.
  • Students are strongly encouraged to apply for funding from multiple sources. In addition to college offices that fund undergraduate research, many academic departments and programs have funding available for majors to conduct honors thesis and/or leave term research. Students should contact their major department or program to inquire about funding options.