Students are required to list the total cost of the project when applying for funding. Students who apply for funding from other sources in addition to UGAR may not accept funding in excess of the total cost of the project.
- Travel: airfare, bus, subway, personal vehicle, etc., costs directly associated with your research. The cost of travel to your home state or country for research is not covered.
- Housing: hotel or other accommodations while traveling or conducting research away from campus
- Cost of living at home is not covered
- Cost of living for projects conducted in or near the student's hometown is not covered (except in unusual circumstances)
- Food: meals while traveling away from campus (cost of food while living at home is not covered).
- Lab materials (chemicals, test kits, animals, petri dishes, etc.)
- Art and photography supplies
- Photocopying library and archival materials
- Rental equipment
- Survey costs (Applicants will need to provide justification for the number of completions/subjects required. We understand the cost of surveys can be high, but we will not be able to provide funding that exceeds our maximum award amount.)
Generally not covered
- Computer hardware and software
- Transcription services
- Purchase of equipment (e.g. computers, audio recorders, cameras, video cameras, cell counters, blood pressure monitors, etc.)
- Retroactive funding for research already completed
- Cost of traveling between Dartmouth and your home
- Tuition or living expenses for courses taken on or off campus
- Fees for external programs or instruction
- Printing or binding of honors theses (check with your major department about funding for this)
- Individual stipend/hourly wages (self or others)