Criteria for Undergraduate Research

Meaningful student participation in faculty-mentored scholarly or creative activity intended to make an original contribution to one or more disciplines.

  • The research must contribute to the student's academic development. The following types of projects are NOT eligible for UGAR funding: 
    • Administrative or clerical (tasks typically compensated via wages such as maintenance of a website, editing of a publication, scheduling research participants, etc.)
    • Curricular (development and/or assessment of course materials)
    • Commercial (tasks related to development of a commercial product)
    • Institutional (tasks related to strategic direction of an institutional initiative)
  • Faculty mentors must be currently employed as faculty at Dartmouth College (including the medical, engineering, and business schools)
  • Faculty-mentored research can be part-time while taking classes or full-time during a leave term. Check the requirements of specific programs to ensure that the student role in the project meets the program guidelines.
    • Part-time research assistantships: students engage with faculty on faculty research projects. Students must be on campus and faculty mentors are also expected to be on campus. Remote research is not eligible for funding.
    • Full-time leave term research: students are expected be more independence and more in-depth engagement. If the research does not take place on campus, there must be a compelling reason for the location of the research (e.g. field work)

Eligibility for UGAR programs

Student status:

  • Applicants must be matriculated, degree-seeking undergraduate students in Arts & Sciences (pursuing a Dartmouth A.B. degree) with enrollment designated "R" or "L" in the term(s) of the proposed project.
  • Undergraduate students who are enrolled at Dartmouth but not pursuing a Dartmouth A.B. (including exchange students and Thayer dual degree students) are not eligible for UGAR programs.
  • Students are not eligible for UGAR programs if they have completed enough credits for a Dartmouth undergraduate degree (e.g. students who have completed a Dartmouth A.B. and are continuing coursework for a B.E. are not eligible).
  • Students must be in good standing with the college and eligible to participate in college-sponsored programs.
  • Students who are taking time away or are withdrawn from the college for any reason (in good standing or not) are not eligible for funding in those term(s). See the College webpage on withdrawals for more information. If students are accepted for a UGAR program in a given term but withdraw or opt to take time away from the College prior to or during that term, they must contact UGAR immediately and withdraw from the UGAR program for that term(s).
  • Students who have been awarded funding through a UGAR program must be in good standing with UGAR (e.g. submitted all required paperwork and final reports) in order to participate in another UGAR program.
  • Students may participate in only one UGAR program (for one research project) per term.
  • Students must be authorized for employment and be able to provide evidence of work-authorized status in the U.S.

Faculty mentors for undergraduate research:

  • UGAR funding is awarded only for students working directly with a Dartmouth faculty member (including faculty at Geisel, Tuck and Thayer). Students working with faculty or researchers at other institutions are not eligible for UGAR funding.
  • Faculty mentors must be employees of Dartmouth. Faculty who are employed at other institutions and have courtesy appointments at Dartmouth are not eligible to mentor undergraduates in research.

Student travel:

  • Funding for travel associated with undergraduate research is an option for some UGAR programs but not for part-time research assistantship programs.
  • If any component of the research involves travel (within the U.S. or abroad), students must comply with the College's travel policies.

Funding information:

  • Students participating in UGAR programs are paid stipends rather than hourly wages so are not required to submit timesheets.
  • IRS guidelines for stipend payments require that students must benefit academically and/or intellectually from the research experience (projects cannot primarily involve rote tasks or clerical/administrative work).
  • It is strongly recommended that students keep a document tracking the time spent on the research and the tasks accomplished. Both students and their faculty mentors are required to confirm at the end of the term that the student has fulfilled the requirements of the program. The tracking document may be important in resolving any differences in between students and faculty.


  • Students who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents are responsible for determining whether their immigration status allows them to receive funding through UGAR programs. This must be done BEFORE applying for UGAR programs. Contact OVIS with questions. UGAR cannot advise students on any visa issues. 
  • UGAR funding is via stipends rather than hourly wages, but the hours students engage in research DO count as work hours for purposes of immigration regulations. Students are responsible for any prior approval required for their immigration status and for tracking the hours they engage in research. 
  • UGAR funding is for students to engage in research directly with a Dartmouth faculty member. If there is any component of the research that involves collaborating with others outside of Dartmouth or accessing worksites outside of Dartmouth, those may require prior authorization depending on immigration and visa status.