Tax Information

Your research stipend may be considered taxable income.

Tax Information for research grants and stipends

Independent research and research assistantship programs (such as Undergraduate Research Assistantships, Presidential Scholars, etc.) are NOT considered employment. Stipends are considered to be fellowships and are issued and taxed differently than employment wages.

Please refer to IRS Publication 970 for detailed information on the taxability of fellowships. You may also consult with a tax professional or call the IRS help line at 800-829-1040 (be sure to tell them your question pertains to a fellowship stipend issued to you by your college so that they can direct you to the appropriate person). Keep in mind that any financial aid you receive from Dartmouth College in the form of scholarships (but not loans) may affect taxation of your award from UGAR. The IRS considers scholarships to be income for taxation purposes (this is the case whether you are a US citizen, permanent resident, or international student).

UGAR cannot assist in determining whether your award is subject to tax.

International Students

This section is not applicable to students who are U.S. citizens or permanent U.S. residents.

International students are responsible for determining whether their visa status allows them to receive funding through UGAR programs. This should be done BEFORE applying for UGAR programs. Contact OVIS with questions. UGAR cannot advise students on this issue.

International students (non-U.S. resident foreign citizens) conducting research within the U.S. must submit a completed W8-BEN in order to receive payment from UGAR. You do not need to submit a W8-BEN if you are conducting the research outside of the U.S.

  • Instructions for the W8-BEN
  • W8-BEN form
  • Information about tax treaties can be found on the IRS website. Refer to the purpose column in Table 2 to determine if your country has any sort of exemption for scholarships and fellowships.
  • Our grant/research stipends are processed separately from payroll checks and financial aid scholarships, and if you have filed a W8-BEN with another department on campus (such as financial aid), Accounts Payable may not necessarily have that information.

Here is the process by which you should submit your W8-BEN for it to apply to payments made through the Undergraduate Research Office:

  • Download and complete the W8-BEN. Keep copies for your records. Undergraduate Research will not keep copies for you in your file.
  • Scan and email the completed W8-BEN to: within 48 hours of submitting an online confirmation form or an acknowledgment and release form.
  • You must submit a W8-BEN each time you are expecting a grant or research stipend from Undergraduate Research. We do not keep copies of this form in our files.

The Accounts Payable Office (646-3878) or the Office of Visa and Immigration Services (646-3474) can help you determine if your country has a tax treaty. If there is no tax treaty, or if you do not have a Social Security Number, your stipend will be taxed 14%. Depending on your income in the U.S. (which includes any scholarship funding you are receiving from the College), you may or may not be able to get back the 14% that was withheld when you file your tax return to the IRS. UGAR stipends are considered to be income earned in the U.S., so you will need to file U.S. taxes with the IRS. Note that the same tax policies and rates apply to U.S. citizens and permanent residents as for international students. The key difference between U.S. citizens/permanent residents and international students is whether the tax is assessed when the stipend check is issued or when the student files taxes.

The Office of Undergraduate Research cannot provide tax advice or assistance beyond including your W8-BEN with each payment request.