Injuries & Temporary Medical Conditions


Temporary medical conditions such as injuries (including concussions), surgeries, or acute illnesses are generally not regarded as disabilities. This is because the degree of functional limitation and the duration (generally shorter than 6 months) of such impairments are usually not substantial enough to cause a temporary condition to be considered a disability. 

The College does, however, recognize that temporary medical conditions that occur during the school year may adversely affect a student's ability to fully participate in class. Below are strategies and resources that may be beneficial for someone who is temporarily incapacitated with one of several common conditions.

In addition, student-athletes with temporary medical conditions or injuries are encouraged to contact Lyndsay Ostler, DP2 Academics, for additional support. Moreover, interim measures requested related to routine pregnancy or an active Title IX case should be directed to the Title IX office.

Potential Issues Due To Temporary Conditions

Potential Issues Due To Temporary Conditions

SAS Recommendations

Missed Class, Deadlines, or Exams

Many of the academic concerns that arise related to short-term conditions, such as additional absences, missed deadlines, or missed exams, should be addressed through communication between students and their professors. As stated in Dartmouth College's Academic Honor Principle, the faculty recognize "the responsibility of students for their own education, [and] assume intellectual honesty and integrity in the performance of academic assignments, both in the classroom and outside." 

Taking exams

If your temporary condition warrants exam considerations, discuss what considerations you may need with your professor. If your professor prefers to work through SAS, you will need to register with SAS.  SAS may then be able to administer an exam with temporary adjustments if your professor cannot.


SAS recommends asking a friend for copies of their notes or downloading the 30-day trial of Sonocent Audio Notetaker. Sonocent allows the user to record and code audio and link it to PowerPoint slides, reducing the amount of writing and/or typing necessary in notetaking.


Windows Speech Recognition and Mac Dictation are built-in speech recognition options that offer sufficient alternatives to writing or typing on a temporary basis.


SensusAccess is a free, self-service, computer-automated, document-conversion tool that allows students, faculty, and staff to convert documents into a variety of alternative formats including audio.

Download Natural Reader, a free text-to-speech online app with natural voices that can convert text to audio and mp3 for personal and commercial use.

Download Kurzweil 3000 to have your electronic text read aloud. Kurzweil 3000 is currently free during COVID-19. There are many other always-free text-to-speech options, as well.

Res Hall Room Access

The Office of Residential Life may be able to assist in having your on-campus room relocated to enhance accessibility (subject to availability).

Classroom Access

SAS can typically assist in relocating classrooms if necessary.

Accessible Parking

Dartmouth Transportation Services provides temporary, permitted access to on-campus accessibility parking spaces up to the end of the current term. This gives ample time during the current term and term break to apply for an official temporary or permanent accessible parking permit from the state motor vehicle department where your vehicle is registered.

Mobility Aids

Dartmouth College Health Service has mobility aids available to students for a small fee. Please contact them for further assistance.


Limited transportation assistance may be available. Student-athletes should contact their Athletic Trainer in Sports Medicine regarding transportation services. Other students should contact their Undergraduate Dean or SAS to request transportation assistance. 

Course Load

Work with your professors to identify agreeable adjustments. Students with temporary conditions also sometimes need to consider applying for a medical leave of absence through the Undergraduate Deans Office until their condition has improved.

Need something else?

If none of the above resources seem applicable to you, the Undergraduate Dean's Office is available to provide guidance with personal and academic concerns.

To Register or Not to Register

If SAS is in a position to assist (e.g., we relocate a class for you), we need you to register with SAS, which in the case of an injury entails completing our online application and uploading with your application basic verification of your injury from a medical professional. Even if professors or TAs are addressing your injury-related arrangements themselves, professors may also ask you to register with SAS so that we are in a position to make recommendations for reasonable adjustments. If you have a temporary injury or other medical condition and would like to consult with SAS, please email us or call 603-646-9900.