Interactive Process for Determining Reasonable Accommodations


SAS will always endeavor to protect the legitimate standards of a class when determining a student's academic adjustments and services, and may contact you as part of the accommodation determination process. Moreover if you have a question or concern related to a student's accommodation, please inquire with Student Accessibility Services (SAS) as opposed to the student.

In addition, some accommodations are more complex and may prompt questions about proper implementation or how SAS can assist. Again, don't hesitate to reach out, as a brief discussion with SAS typically clears up any concerns.

Concerns about Possible Fundamental Alteration

If you are concerned that an accommodation fundamentally alters a course/program requirement, SAS and you will need work together to determine if there is a fundamental alteration and, if so, determine an alternative accommodation. Again, you should NOT pose questions/concerns about accommodations or make alternative accommodation suggestions to students. SAS has a legal obligation to be involved to mitigate the inherent power differential between a faculty member and student.

To address fundamental alteration concerns in a timely manner, contact SAS to initiate the discussion. As part of this process, SAS asks you to:

  • Share the details of your questions/concerns
  • Reference the name of the student(s) and the accommodation(s) about which you have questions or concerns
  • Share a copy of your course syllabus
  • Suggest possible alternative solutions

Once you and SAS have reached an initial agreement, SAS will share the implementation details or potential changes with the student. If the student has any concerns with the initial agreement, there may be need for further discussion between SAS and you. Final determinations regarding reasonable accommodations will be made by the Assistant Dean & Director of SAS.

Faculty and SAS are almost always able to quickly come to agreement regarding what constitutes a fundamental alteration and reasonable accommodations. In the event that we disagree and/or you would like to consult, you may always involve your program or department chair, your associate dean, the ADA Coordinator, and/or the Office of General Council to reach a timely resolution.