Additional 2-Course Term

A student with a disability may, under limited circumstances, be approved for an additional 2-course term beyond the three, 2-course terms all students are permitted.

Support Staff Involved in the Process

Requesting a 2-course term due to a disability beyond the allotted three, 2-course terms that all students are provided requires approval from SAS and verification from the Registrar. Moreover, students receiving financial should contact Financial Aid to learn what impact an additional 2-course term might have on their aid prior to petitioning for an additional 2-course term.

All students consult are recommended towith their undergraduate dean prior to petitioning to discuss the implications of an additional 2-course term and to review relevant forms or processes through the Registrar that may need to be completed as part of their petition (e.g., making D-Plan changes, submitting a Change of Enrollment form, a DartWorks degree audit, approved major plan, and so forth).

For students on an F-1 visa, OVIS also needs to be involved and provide pre-approval in order to avoid termination of visa status.


    It is recommended that you begin the process of inquiring about and petitioning for an additional 2-course term due to a disability no later than week 8 of the quarter prior to the one for which you are requesting an additional 2-course term.

    This may seem like a lot of lead time, but a number of support offices may need to assist with your request. Moreover, SAS often needs additional documentation from your provider to illustrate the current need for this accommodation. In addition, providers frequently need to schedule a meeting with you prior to submitting documentation and may then need time to prepare documentation for SAS.

    Students with a preexisting disability need to provide sufficient lead time in order for the Registrar to verify the additional 2-course term by 5 PM on the final day of drop/add (day 10 of the quarter).


    Part One:

    1. If you are concerned about your academic course load, start by scheduling a meeting with your undergraduate dean.
    2. If you receive financial aid, email the Financial Aid office to inquire how an additional 2-course term may impact your aid.
    3. If applicable, schedule a meeting with your OVIS advisor to review your visa requirements and the process for obtaining a Reduced Course Load authorization in SEVIS.
      • Extensions of the I-20 require a demonstration of sufficient funds to cover expenses, and Financial Aid should be consulted in that regard, if necessary.
      • You will also need to provide OVIS a letter from a medical doctor recommending the reduction.
    4. Meet with your SAS Advisor to discuss your request for an additional 2-course term. Your advisor may inform you that you need additional documentation.
      • If you have a disability but are not registered with SAS, please follow SAS' application process. (Temporary conditions such as illnesses or concussions and other injuries are not usually considered disabilities, but all applications are considered on a case-by-case basis.)

    Part Two:

    1. After receiving SAS approval, your SAS advisor will provide you the "Petition for a Two-Course Term beyond the 3 Term Maximum Allowed."
    2. Email the Registrar, copying your SAS advisor, and attach the completed petition along with any other supplemental documents specified.
      • Consult with your undergraduate dean if you have questions about your D-Plan or the other supplemental documents specified in the petition.
      • If you receive financial aid, also copy Financial Aid and Campus Billing on the email.
      • If applicable, also copy your OVIS advisor on the email.
    3. Your SAS advisor will provide the Registrar verification of SAS approval. The Registrar will notify you shortly thereafter whether your request has been verified.
      • Please note that copying your SAS advisor on your email is important, as this action prompts your SAS advisor to contact the Registrar.
    4. Unless you work with OVIS (see next step), drop your third course as soon as you receive this notification from the Registrar.
    5. If you work with OVIS, be sure that OVIS receives copies of approvals from SAS and/or the Registrar. Authorization must be entered in SEVIS for the Reduced Course Load exception before reducing your course load in order to avoid termination of the I-20 and loss of visa status. After all College approvals are received and the authorization is entered in SEVIS, a new I-20 will be issued. Then, under SEVIS requirements, you may safely drop the course.
    6. If you receive approval and require additional terms to graduate due to your disability, you may also apply for reduced tuition through Campus Billing.