Resolving Complaints

Dartmouth College is committed to ensuring that the programs, services, and activities of the College are accessible to, and usable by, students with disabilities. 

ADAAA and Rehabilitation Act Compliance

Dartmouth College adheres to the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act of 2008 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act to ensure that otherwise qualified students with disabilities are not discriminated against on the basis of their disabilities and that they are not excluded from or denied the benefits of the Dartmouth collegiate experience.

See the college's Notice of Nondiscrimination.

Informal Resolution

If you believe you have been discriminated against because of a disability, you may take the following steps:

  • Attempt to resolve the matter informally with either the person/group alleged to have discriminated or violated a policy or procedure, the head of the department or office in which the alleged violation occurred, or both.
  • Undergraduate and Thayer B.E. students are invited to discuss your complaint with SAS Assistant Dean & Director Alison May, 603-646-9900, and decide together whether you, SAS, or both should pursue informal resolution.
  • If you have complaints about alleged discrimination or policy/procedure violations by the SAS Director, you are encouraged but not required to discuss the matter with her.
    • You may also raise your concerns with Associate Dean for Student Support Services Anne Hudak, to whom SAS reports, 603-646-2243.

Formal Appeal Process

Any student (undergraduate or graduate) who is dissatisfied with the informal resolution process appropriate to their undergraduate or School status, or who wishes to file a formal complaint at the outset may consult with the ADA Coordinator or submit a formal accommodation appeal. See the Institutional Diversity & Equity website for more information on the disability accommodation appeal policy.

Graduate Students

If you are a graduate or professional students at Dartmouth College (i.e. enrolled in Arts and Sciences Graduate Programs, The Dartmouth Institute for Health Policy and Clinical Practice, Dartmouth Medical School, Thayer School of Engineering, or the Tuck School of Business), the College encourages you to consult the appropriate accessibility services liason at that School, as they may be able to help you informally resolve your concerns.

Contact Us

Students who have questions or concerns about any aspect of campus accessibility, possible discrimination, campus policies or procedures, services or academic adjustments, or who believe they may have been discriminated against on the basis of disability, are encouraged to discuss the matter with the SAS Director at (603) 646-9900.

Students may also contact the Office of Institutional Diversity and Equity.