Managing Your Time
Tips for managing your time well so you can get the most out of your Dartmouth experience:
- Keep everything in perspective. You're smart—and there are many tools and strategies for making the most of what you have.
- Define long-term and short-term goals and build your schedule around them.
- Examine and revise your lifetime goals on a monthly basis and be sure to include progress towards those goals on a daily basis.
- Have confidence in yourself and in your judgement of priorities and stick to them no matter what.
- Push yourself and be persistent, especially when you know you are doing well.
- Don’t regret your failures and instead try to learn from your mistakes.
- Remind yourself, "There is always enough time for the important things." If it is important, you should be make time to do it.
- Try to use waiting time to review notes or do practice problems.
- Learn and practice specific reading strategies. They will help you comprehend, study and remember better.
- Keep paper or a calendar with you to jot down the things you have to do or notes to yourself.
- Put up reminders in your home or office about your goals.
- Maintain and develop a list of specific things to be done each day, set your priorities and the get the most important ones done as soon in the day as you can. Evaluate your progress at the end of the day briefly.
- Look ahead in your month and try and anticipate what is going to happen so you can better schedule your time.
- Be sure and set deadlines for yourself whenever possible.
- Try rewarding yourself when you get things done as you had planned, especially the important ones.
- When you catch yourself procrastinating-ask yourself, "What am I avoiding?"
- Start with the most difficult parts of projects, then either the worst is done or you may find you don't have to do all the other small tasks.
- Catch yourself when you are involved in unproductive projects and stop as soon as you can.
- Concentrate on one thing at a time.
- Ask for advice when needed.
Adapted from A. Lakein. How to Get Control of Your Time And Your Life