History of Prayer Services at Dartmouth
From the days of Eleazar Wheelock until the 1920s, daily worship was a tradition at Dartmouth College. In the early years, services were held both in the morning and evening, with an additional two sessions of church on Sunday. Worship was first conducted by Eleazar Wheelock in the open air, then in a simple log hut on the southeast corner of the College Green.
Later (1790) it was held in the first College Chapel, which stood just in front of the present site of Thorton Hall, and then in Rollins Chapel's final predecessor, the old chapel in Dartmouth Hall (1828-1885). In 1856, morning chapel was changed from 6:00 to 8:00 a.m., and in 1863 daily evening chapel ended.
The tradition of daily worship continued in Rollins Chapel under President Tucker with a brief daily service and a Sunday vesper service, which became the core of the religious life for generations of Dartmouth men. In the fall of 1925, all services, including Sunday vespers, were put on a voluntary basis.