The Center for Professional Development
Frequently Asked Questions
I need to create/update my resume. Where do I start?
- Log into Dartboard and review our Dartmouth Resume Template and Resume Guide. Both are housed in the Resource Library.
- Once you have a draft, log back into Dartboard and schedule an appointment with a CPD advisor: Chandlee Bryan or Eric Eisendrath. We can help you translate your military experience in business terms.
How can I accelerate my career preparation and ensure success?
- Starting in your first year, join the CPD’s Professional Development Accelerator (PDA) program. This is a step-by-step guide to creating a successful professional future, based on your individual skills and interests. Learn more about the PDA. Ask about this when you meet with one of our advisors.
Is there a list of internship and career opportunities for veterans?
- Under the jobs and internships tab in Dartboard, you should first search the hundreds of opportunities available to all Dartmouth students.
- Note that most employers prefer to hire juniors to fill internships, so they can then convert successful interns into full-time hires.
- Many employers offer programs specifically for veteran candidates. Meet with one of our advisors to obtain a list of veteran-specific opportunities that match your interests.
- Monitor the weekly emails that your Dean sends out, to hear about late-breaking opportunities
- Need help finding the right opportunity? Log back into Dartboard and schedule an appointment with a CPD advisor Chandlee Bryan or Eric Eisendrath.
How do I connect with alumni/ae mentors in my intended career field?
- Create a profile in LinkedIn and begin searching for alums with matching backgrounds
- Search the Dartmouth Career Network. This is a professional network of thousands of Dartmouth alumni who are willing to advise students on their career paths
- Learn more about how to approach potential mentors and what kinds of questions to ask. Meet with one of our advisors to discuss your interests and get practice networking.
I need funding for an unpaid or low paid internship. Where can I find funding sources?
The CPD website offers an extensive list of funding resources.
Who do I contact if I have more questions?
Email the Center for Professional Development (CPD) and indicate that you are a veteran in the subject line of your email.