Prior to the start of your assistantship, set up an initial meeting with your faculty mentor to discuss:
- Work schedule: days/hours your faculty mentor expects you to work
- Expectations: what your faculty mentor expects you to accomplish during the term
- Preparation: required trainings or certifications that you need to complete before starting the research
- Meetings: schedule for you and your faculty mentor and/or other research supervisor to meet (preferably at least once a week at a regular time)
- Tracking: establish a document or system to track the time spent on the research and the tasks accomplished
- Troubleshooting: what to do if you have questions or difficulty with any of the tasks you have been assigned. Note that it is your responsibility to let your faculty mentor and/or other research supervisor know when you need help with tasks.