In the first week of the first term of your assistantship, get in touch with your faculty mentor to set up an initial meeting. In that initial meeting, you should address the following:
- Work schedule: What days/hours your faculty mentor expects you to work.
- Expectations: What your faculty mentor expects you to accomplish during the term.
- Tracking: It is strongly recommended that you maintain a document tracking the time you spend on the project and the tasks you have accomplished.
- Meetings: How often will you and your faculty mentor meet (preferably not less than once a week, and setting up a regular time is best)
- Troubleshooting: What you should do or whom you should contact if you have difficulty with any of the tasks you have been assigned. Note that it is your responsibility to let your faculty mentor know when you need help with tasks.