Important Information For All Students
- Please monitor your email for updates. We may adjust the closing processes described in this checklist if necessary in response to the changing circumstances for the pandemic.
- Please continue to follow all COVID-19 community expectations during the move-out process, including wearing a face covering, social distancing, sanitizing your hands, and other guidelines that you have agreed to.
- Guest restrictions remain in effect: If a family member or friend is picking you up, they are not permitted to enter the residence halls or other campus facilities. They must remain outdoors, wear face coverings, and observe 6' physical distancing.
- Be aware that residential staff will be entering every room on March 18 (unless all residents have interim housing), for the purpose of making sure that the residents have followed closing procedures. During the course of the break, college staff will be entering ALL rooms to make sure smoke detectors and room door hinges are working properly as well as to complete repairs requested by the residents or to address issues that may arise during the break such as leaking steam valves or plumbing issues. If these staff members encounter any potential violations of policy, a report will be written and followed up on when residents return from the break.
- Please provide your departure information in the checkout form available on DartHub, Housing StarPortal. This will help custodians with cleaning rooms and will be important to know if there is an emergency situation that necessitates knowing who may be in the building.
- Before you leave, please be sure to do the following:
- Close and lock all windows and your door.
- Unplug and defrost your refrigerator. Clean out anything that belongs to you in public refrigerators and laundry rooms.
- Take recycling and trash from your room to the hallway garbage cans and recycling areas.
ARE YOU LEAVING YOUR ROOM ONLY FOR THE INTERIM?
- You do not need to remove your belongings though we encourage you to take any belongings with you that you may need if you are unable to return or if your return is delayed, such as valuables, computers, money, musical instruments, and personal documents like passports. We will not be able to retreive these items for you.
- Take your room key with you! Your room will be locked during interim, and you may be charged for a room unlock by Safety & Security if you return without your key.
- Turn off your computer, lights, stereos, & alarm clocks, and unplug items to protect against power surges.
- Remove your belongings from the bathroom so that the custodian can clean.
- If there is a vacancy in your room, please ensure that the custodian can determine what space a new resident will occupy so they can clean it. Make sure that you do not have belongings in the way that will impede cleaning.
ARE YOU CHANGING ROOMS FOR SPRING TERM?
- If you have interim housing and will remain on campus for the interim, please plan to move to your spring room on March 22. Please refer to specific moving instructions included in your interim housing email.
- If you are leaving campus for the interim, plan to have all of your personal belongings packed and removed from your current room by noon on March 18. You cannot do this when you return for the spring term; you must pack and move out of your winter room. We will not issue permission slips for placing your items in your spring term room. Failure to pack and remove your belongings will result in a $100 fine, relocation costs to pack and move personal belongings, and possible disciplinary action. Note that controlled storage and trunk room storage are not available. If you are using an off-campus vendor for storage or shipping, they will not be allowed to enter your building; they will need to meet you outside at a pre-determined time.
- Once you have moved out of your winter term room, please return your room key to a key box!
ARE YOU MOVING OUT FOR 1 OR MORE TERMS?
- Students who do not have an on-campus room assignment for spring term must remove ALL belongings from their winter residence hall room. All belongings must be removed, shipped, or placed in local non-college storage by the closing deadline. Any items found in rooms after departure will be donated for reuse or discarded and you will be charged fees and fines for the disposition of your belongings. Controlled storage and trunk room storage are not available. You must take all of your belongings with you.
- If you are using an off-campus vendor for storage or shipping, they will not be allowed to enter your building; they will need to meet you outside at a pre-determined time.
- Double-check your drawers and closets. The College is not responsible for items that you leave behind.
- Return your key to a drop box using a key return envelope. Failure to return your key by 3pm on March 18 will result in a lock change and $55 charge to your Da$h account. There is a $15 charge for not using a key envelope.
- Please leave your room in good condition. If it is left in such a condition that it requires more than routine cleaning, a minimum charge of $55 will be assessed.