The Student Perspective
Impact of a WISP Internship (2014)
- 83% of the interns indicated that the internship research experience met or exceeded their expectations
- 83% felt that a major in science, math or engineering was likely
- 94% will seek out another research experience
- 74% plan to keep in touch with their sponsor or assistant sponsor
- 88% would recommend a WISP internship to an incoming first-year woman
I strongly believe that if it were not for that internship, I would never have had the incentive to continue to study science.
Most Challenging Aspects of a WISP Internship
- Managing the time commitment
- Uncertainty about meeting the expectations of mentors
- Being humble and asking for help when needed
The most frustrating aspect was time management, trying to balance working on the internship with schoolwork... But it was definitely worth it!
Feeling like I wasn't doing anything at all important for the department: I couldn't give back nearly what they were giving me.
Most Rewarding Aspects of a WISP Internship
- Getting to know faculty
- Gaining hands-on research experience
- Exploring possible career paths
- Investigating an unfamiliar field in the sciences
Becoming familiar with techniques that were completely new to me. It gave me confidence in my own skills
Working closely with someone who instructed but didn't criticize. This also helped me realize that real lab research doesn't resemble the graded and methodical work in a class lab